This is a post for ladies! Guys can just stop reading here heh.
One fine day I was just checking out the deals on Groupon, and I came across this Unlimited IPL underarm hair removal deal at Musee Platinum Tokyo going for only $98nett.
As a poor student, 98 bucks is alot. I could eat 20 meals and still have remaining money. However, I did some quick calculations and if I go consistently for 5 years, it would cost around 4 bucks each time. Moreover, I haven't even turned 21! so assuming that the business doesn't fold, I'll be able to get loads of service for it :D and hence I decided it was a worthy investment to start early. heehee.
More about Musee Platinum Tokyo:
They claim to be Japan's No.1 hair removal salon, with 140 branches in Japan! I couldn't find many reviews on Musee, but I have absolute trust in the Japanese and especially the Japanese ladies' pick for quality and service. since they can still thrive with 140 branches, can't be too bad right.
For Singapore, there are 5 branches, and for obvious reasons I chose to sign up at the Bugis+ branch. Take note that the salons are REALLY busy; if you are working and have a tight schedule, it might be really difficult for you to book an appointment. It was relatively easy for me as I was okay with weekday mornings, the most obscure timing of the day haha. and even so I had to call a week in advance.
Usually the first appointment is for consultation only. What happens is the consultant will hand you a sign up form, checking for any allergies/hair removal habits, and half a dozen other contract forms for you to sign. They all sound the same to me, but do read through just in case. Consultant also asked if I was referred by anyone, apparently if you were referred, just quote your friend's member ID, full name and contact no. and you get a free small parts treatment! (i.e. upper lip hair removal)
What I liked about the consultation:
1. NO hardselling at all
2. Clear explanation of the procedure and how the S.S.C technology works (though abit boring)
3. Consultant was really friendly and made me feel comfortable amidst all the awkward talk :)
Then I was supposed to schedule my first appointment on another date. However, maybe because I was probably the 2nd customer that morning and there was not many customers scheduled that day, consultant asked if I wanted to have my first appointment that very morning! so yea, deal. Oh but you can only have the next treatment after 2 months! and after a certain number of treatments the in-between period increases to 3 months.
Some lousy photos of the area taken by my lousy iphone 3GS! Didn't bring my camera cos I wasn't expecting to have the treatment!
Musee uses the S.S.C way, so quoted from their website: "S.S.C. Hair Removal stands for "Smooth Skin Control Hair Removal" which is a new state-of-the-art pain free technology. With S.S.C. Hair Removal, our specially formulated gel is activated when exposed to the beams of filtered light. This reaction delays new hair growth and also dulls hair growth, consequently lessens and obscures your hair."
Note the claims here:
1. Pain free
2. Delays new hair growth
3. Dulls hair growth
4. Ultimately lessens hair growth
Basically this is what happens during the whole process:
1. Get changed into the blue spaghetti top that they provide!
2. Consultant comes in and covers your eyes with tissue(?) and puts on safety goggles to protect your eyes from the lasers
3. Put your hands behind your head and yea. -awkward turtle-
4. consultant uses an electric shaver to trim underarm hairs to a certain length?
5. Cold gel is applied!
6. Its time for action! the Consultant then uses the machine thing to "zap" the hairs, i counted around 10-11 zaps per side. Let's just say I didn't felt anything at all, not even any sensation of "rubberbands shooting". When the consultant asked me if it was bearable I was like er am i supposed to feel something... Well I do have a high pain tolerance afterall.
7. Cold gel is wiped off and a cold gel pad is placed on both sides! you'll have to kiap on to it for about 5 minutes.
8. Pads are removed, some soothing cream is applied and tadah! done.
It has been a few days since my first treatment, and yes it does seem that the hairs are growing much slower, in fact, they don't seem to have grown much since that day. But I have yet to observe any noticeable difference in the amount, of course it would take a few more sessions to be more obvious :)